Thursday, September 14, 2006

Who needs fancy toys?



David and I have toys for Gabriel don't get me wrong but seriously...Gabe isn't always fascinated by all that jazz. Sometimes all he wants is a cardboard box to chew on. I'm mean come on...I let him play in his pack n' play will all these neato toys and I comeback and he's chewing on his bib staring at our pet birds.



It makes me wonder about all the money spent by parents every year on "learning toys". Why do we feel the need that our children be able to do calculus by kindergarten and read Mein Kampf by age 8? I find it all so bizarre. I mean...what did all the kids do before this generation that didn't have "learning toys"?
I'll tell you what they did...they played outside in the sun or the rain and yes even the cold. We drew and painted and used something I think most kids today don't have very much of anymore...imagination. I say banish those video games and those educational videos and scoot their little butts outside and even better... give your kids a box and see what they come up with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home